Early Omaha: Gateway to the West

Early Omaha Home Page
Collections Exhibits Street Map Search FAQs Early Omaha Home

FORT OMAHA

1 2 3 4

Fort Omaha - 1880s


This image, looking southeast from Fort Omaha shows some of the buildings after a snow. Land for Fort Omaha, located three miles north of downtown Omaha at North 30th & Fort Street was obtained from Augustus Kountze in 1868. It was originally named Sherman Barracks, then Omaha Barracks. It became Headquarters for the Department of the Platte in 1878 and renamed Fort Omaha. It was abandoned in 1896. Since 1975, Fort Omaha has been part of the Metropolitan Community College system.

1 2 3 4