Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church was the outgrowth of mission work in 1886 by the Reverend J.A. Hultman. Reverend Hultman came to Omaha on a concert tour, liked what he saw, and became a resident. The structure in the photograph was located on the northeast corner of 19th & Cass streets. The lot was purchased for $11,000 and the church built for $12,000.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan, November 2003